If you are wondering why your smile won’t stay the white, brilliant shade you want it to, our Bin Park, DDS team is happy to tell you why! There are many things in the world today that can cause tooth discoloration. Those things are:
– Drinks: Some drinks have intense color pigments, which attach to the white section of your tooth, causing discoloration. The most common teeth-staining drinks are coffee, tea, and red wine.
– Tobacco Use: Tobacco products are major culprits of teeth stains. Because they contain tar and nicotine, they stain and discolor your teeth.
– Age: The outer layer of your teeth is called enamel, and throughout time that enamel tends to fade away and get thinner. Underneath the enamel is a softer area called dentin, which is a section of your tooth that has a yellow tint to it. The more time that passes, the more the enamel will wear away and the more yellow your teeth will become.
– Trauma: If you have experienced a trauma to your mouth, your teeth will naturally create more dentin for additional protection, and because the dentin is naturally yellow, your smile will appear yellow.
– Medications: Many medications cause tooth discoloration, like antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure medications, antibiotics (like tetracycline and doxycycline), chemotherapy, and radiation.
If you have any questions or if you would like to talk to your dentist, Dr. Bin H. Park, about teeth whitening in Corona, California, please feel free to give our office a call! We are more than happy to help you brighten your smile if you just call 951-898-5658 and schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you!