Dental erosion is the process of dangerous substances including harmful acids found in foods and drinks slowly wearing down the tooth enamel present on our teeth for protection. If the erosion remains unchecked, erosion can eventually lead to tooth failure. For more information about acidity and its relation to dental erosion, see below:
– Your risk for dental erosion can be lowered by practicing simple oral health cleaning habits every day including brushing your teeth twice daily and flossing once daily.
– Studies have shown that saliva production in your mouth can lower your risk for dental erosion. For more saliva, try chewing sugarless gum after meals, or use a mouthwash.
– When your teeth are affected by acidic ingredients, they are more susceptible to damage, even those arising from cleaning tools. As an added layer of protection, only use brushes with soft bristles.
– Sugars and sweets, such as sour sweets, have been noted to be nearly as acidic as battery acid. Thus, it would be wise to avoid sour sweets in the foreseeable future.
– Dental erosion is often seen in individuals that have a poor diet. Eating healthy and avoiding problematic substances such a sugar will drastically lower your risk of dental erosion.
No matter the oral health care you desire, Dr. Bin H. Park and our team at Bin Park, DDS are here to give you the smile you want. If you would like to schedule an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Corona, California, please contact us at 951-898-5658 to speak with a member of our team. We look forward to improving your smile!